Sunday, May 25, 2008

Whats in a name?

I have been neglecting these two a bit, but then they went from BLM in the middle of nowhere to my side yard. (On a corner so they are watching cars trucks, and the guy that is always pushing then leaving empty shopping carts on the corner. )

Many people came by to see our new baby Dandy, and took a peek at the yearlings too. Cameron, my young neighbor across the street (he is almost 5) came over with his mom. He is always visiting Symphony and who ever else is in the yard. We had to get tough about him
looking before he crosses the street to visit though!

He was fascinated by the yearlings and they by him. Maybe they never saw a little person before but my filly was enthralled she was following him along the fence moving closer, until Cameron just reached out and touched her nose! She was surprised and pulled her head back but didn't bolt, she paused for a second (I could see her thinking) and then she laughed!

I made sure Cameron knew he was the first person to touch her, and asked him to help me decide her name.


I usually add something for their adoption day, but these girls won't be adopted until August, so I looked at her HMA (Jackson Mountian) and her capture date, September 11th?
That's a tall order! So you can maybe understand why this was so hard.

I was thinking at first she's Justa bay, so Justa whatever might work, but once I saw the date, Justa anything sounded wrong. I don't want to belittle the date with something trite, I wanted it to be respectful but not make her name TOO important.

Cameron says her name should be Sarah (his moms name is Sarah) So I named her Sera short for September Serenade. Beth named her filly Zoe Star.

No comments: