Monday, May 26, 2008

A week already? Catching up.

We had left the girls alone (except to feed and water) so that Zoe could go to a gentling demo on Saturday. We separated the babies fri afternoon and took Zoe off to clinic. She loaded right up and traveled well. We picked up some other horses along the way with little fuss.

We did offer them a pool since Sera likes to dig in the water so much, she kept tipping it over. She was not very concerned about the pool. She promptly climbed in and started pawing it. The first pool didn't last long (I figured it wouldn't, it was not the kind I had wanted, and it has been replaced with something a little bit hardier, but still not what I would consider Mustang tough!)

Zoe visited with Pumba and Halle (Ingrid's pair) all three participated in the fund raiser for Angi and Prosperity to travel to Sac for The Western States Mustang Challenge. We took Zoe back to Angi's. Beth stayed with her so she could play with Zoe, Chester, and Freedom today.

The three yearlings were super stars. Each a little different and therefor great examples of horse behaviors. Zoe was able to face up and smell a stick. Pumba accepted the rope and learned to give to pressure. Halle (whom Ingrid has been working with) was haltered for the second time and stood to be touched with a stick from head to tail and down her legs.

Sera stayed at home, and I put her out in the big yard with Symphony, so Sera could start to learn the ropes. At BLM I think they keep the youngsters separate from the big horses once they are weaned, so she probably has not had any mare time for awhile. Symphony let her know right away she was not sharing her alfalfa! There was another pile for Sera but after 4 meals she still had a hard time eating at her own pile, and with the space Symphony is expecting her to maintain.

Sera is used to bunching in a pack with the other babies when she is nervous or scared and to stand separate from them, is HARD. It makes her vulnerable and she doesn't like it!

Luckily for Sera, Symphony is a nice leader who will nip, and even lift a hind hoof if needed and only kicks or removes hide if someone else takes it to that level. Sera is already less reactive and able to look at me, and even follow me a bit.

Symphony is teaching her that

A You may not eat MY food.
B You may not run up my butt, nor do you push past me, because I am the leader!
C You can not have my mom! She is MY mom!
D Tarps are not to be feared! In fact they usually have food under them and should be examined very carefully.


Zoe is what I have always known as a black bay. (BLM calls her brown) She has a star, one hind sock and one front roan sock.. yes roan. (if you click on the picture it will open a larger version)

I have seen roans, and even roan flanks, I have watched horses gray, but I have never seen just a roan sock before. When Beth and I talked about her name, I asked her if there were any stars sporting long lace gloves these days.. (maybe thats how Star became part of Zoe's name.. )

No comments: